I’ve lost my husband to football, pumpkins are on display and squash is in season; fall has officially begun…Toasted browns, burnt oranges and deep reds are making their way into my “foods color palette” and I can’t wait to cook. I’m always hungrier this time of year and love putting a “SFG” spin on hearty foods. Does this happen to anyone else? I feel like I’m part bear, getting ready to hibernate. I, graze after meals and with so many tasty snacks around the house, it’s hard to stay on track… The packaged goods wouldn’t be in my home, but my husband has made it clear both chips and cookies are necessary for his happiness. It’s a real test of my self-control…
So to satisfy my “bear” cravings, I’m putting a healthy spin on a hearty favorite – chili. It keeps me full through the night and reduces late night snacking. I can, also, make it a little less healthy for my sig fig by adding sour cream and cheddar cheese. It’s a win-win.
Here’s what you need:
1 lbs. ground lean white turkey meat
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
2-3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
2 tbsp. of cumin
2 tbsp. of chili powder
1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 can of kidney beans
1 medium sized yam, remove the skin, and slice into 1/2 inch squares
2 cups of chopped collard green or kale
1/2 tsp of salt
- Take a large soup pot, I use my large Le Creuset pot and it’s well worth the money! Place on the stove and begin to preheat. Add olive oil to the pan. When you place your hand above it and begin to feel the heat, place your chopped garlic and onions in the pan. Sauté for about 3 minutes, until the onions become translucent.
- Place the ground turkey into the pan, sprinkle with salt and cumin. Cook until the meat is crumbling and cooked through
- Next add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, sliced yam and chili powder simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the yam slices our soft.
- Add the swiss chard or kale and cook for another 10 minutes
- Taste and salt if necessary, then serve piping hot! You can also add sour cream and cheese to it for people who aren’t on the healthy train