I’ve been on a MAH-HEY-JOR sweets kick lately and have been craving good ‘ol All-American, APPLE PIE… But as you know, we always try to put a healthy spin on all our dishes. So when I saw the cutest apple pie with a twist on Pinterest I had to whip up my own version!
- * 4 Granny Smith apples (choose large apples that have even bases for a sturdy “pie”)
- * 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- * 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- * 1 package rolled pie crust
- * Lemon juice (squeeze on the sliced apples to help from turning brown)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice off the top of your apple and scoop out the inside. (I used a melon baller)
- In a small bowl, mix the apple insides with sugar, cinnamon and a little lemon juice. Add the mixture into the hollowed out apple.
- Unroll the pie crust and cut into 1/4 inch strips.
- Lay strips of the dough on the apple. Then, add one new strip at a time and weave it over and under the pie strips already in place. Until the apple is covered. Or you can also braid the dough!
- Place the apples in a baking dish and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are soft. Enjoy!
Unfortunately, I gobbled these puppies up faster than I could snap an after pic of them… Oops. But let me tell you, they’re as good as they are cute!