My kitchen smells like the holidays: sweet, warm and welcoming… All thanks to these granola bars! It was the perfect Sunday afternoon… the weather is finally starting to cool here in Los Angeles, and it was the kind of day where all you want to do is snuggle up on the couch and bake something deliciously sweet. But then my conscious kicked in… my week had been filled with birthday parties and celebratory dinners that included tons of butter, cheese cake, and chocolate. Baking? Probably not the best idea… But then I thought, what could I make that was healthy, delicious and productive for an upcoming work week full of stress? These healthy granola bars were my answer! This healthy snack is the perfect boost I need during a busy week… a perfect treat for the girl on the go this holiday season!
Check it out– these granola bars have no added sugar…
Here’s what you need:
* 2 cups of oats
* sunflower oil ( 2 tbsp)
* 1 cup of sliced almonds
* 1 cup of shredded coconut
* 3 tbsp of coconut oil
* 2/3 cup honey
* 1.5 tsp vanilla
* 1/4 salt
* 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
* 1/2 cup dried goji berries
(early studies have shown goji berries to benefit one’s mental well-being, stress level, and quality of sleep)
Here’s what you do:
* On a bake pan, drizzle 1 tbsp of sunflower oil and then add a mixture of the oats, coconut and almonds. Place in a 350 degree oven and toast for 8-10 minutes
* Once lightly browned, put mixture in a big bowl and add the goji berries and dates
* In a small sauce pan boil the honey (make sure to buy a no sugar added honey), coconut oil, salt, and vanilla extract
* When the mixture comes to a boil add it to the big bowl and stir all together until well-combined
* Pour the mixture into a pan (use 1 tbsp of sunflower oil to create a non-stick surface) and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Then cook in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
* Let cool– wait 2-3 hours before cutting into the squares… has anyone ever told you patience is a virtue?!
… Well good things come to those who wait! When these babies are done you’ll have a delicious, home-made, non-processed, HEALTHY snack to enjoy all week long!!!!
Will you try this recipe? What other dried fruit would you like in your granola? Let us know!