The summer heat is NO JOKE. This week in NY we’ve had two days of heat advisory– but even that can’t stop me from being outdoors. California living does that to some people; even now that I’m back on the east coast, I can’t help but want to spend as much time outside in the sun (while the summer heat lasts). Luckily, I have a pool close by to keep me cool– otherwise it might be a different story… But with the summer sun, comes summer cravings– like fresh fruit and vegetables, light salads, and BBQ filled afternoons with family and friends. We went to a friends place for a BBQ yesterday, and I was in charge of a side dish… and the Girls BBQ Chicken Salad was just the ticket! This dish is filling, but light tasting– similar to a traditional chicken salad except for one important difference– greek yogurt dressing. This keeps the meal light and healthy, while still satisfying my regular BBQ cravings. It’s summer in a bowl! Try it for yourself!
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED/ HERE’S WHAT YOU DO
For the salad, combine:
- Cooked organic chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken– so easy to find at the local health market, and the work is done for you!)
- Two corn on the cobs (clean the corn, and place into boiling water to “steam” cook and remove from the husk)
- 5 sticks of celery (chopped)
- half of a red onion (chopped)
- cup of cranberries (they provide such a sweet tang that balances the dish so well)
- spinach for garnish
For the dressing, combine in a separate bowl:
- 2 cups of greek yogurt
- plenty of salt and pepper (to taste)
- half of a squeezed lemon (to enhance the flavor)
- 1-2 tbsp of honey (honey is a great natural sweetener that is SO good for the body– enough salt will balance out the sweetness)
- optional: hot sauce for a little heat
Mix together and then pour over the salad and mix until it is thick, creamy and ready to enjoy!