Summer Strawberry Treat

Pinterest

Strawberry 1

Dear Diary,

This weekend I was in need of some serious R & R. Friday night, felt like a tribute to my college days. I was visiting a friend in Santa Barbara and the night quickly turned from dinner into a bar hopping extravaganza. Irish car bombs, Jager shots and tequila were involved… Saturday morning, my headache reminded me that college ended some time ago.   I didn’t want this weekend to be a total bust of binge watching, “Orange is the New Black” and ordering takeout. But my body was in need of carbs…lots of sweet carbs. So, I headed to pinterest for inspiration.

Strawberry short cake recipes kept catching my eye, though I couldn’t make these recipes as is, without having major food guilt.  So I headed to the kitchen to create something that would be SFG approved. Coconut flour and stevia are ingredients that would help cut the sugar and carb count. I’ve been wanting to bake with them for some time… Unfortunately, there aren’t exact conversion charts for substituting these ingredients for sugar and wheat flour in recipes. Stevia is about 300 times sweeter than sugar and coconut flour doesn’t behave like wheat flour. Believe me, I had a couple fails before this recipe worked out. Here’s some things I learned that might be helpful in your own kitchen experiments.

– 20% of the flour called for can be substituted with coconut flour, the other 80% has to be rice, wheat or “real” flour

-1 cup of sugar is closely the equivalent with 1 packet of stevia, or about 1 tsp of the dry stevia

Here’s what you need to create your own #SFGapproved “Summer Strawberry Treat.” It really does help with hang-overs and is guilt free :)

 * 1/4 cup coconut flour

* 3/4 cup  flour

*2 tsp. Stevia

* 1/4 Fage Yogurt 0%

* 1 tsp. lemon juice

* 1 tsp. cream of tarter

* 1 tsp. vanilla extract

*1/4 tsp. of salt

* 12 egg whites (about 1 and 1/2 cups of liquid egg whites)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan and set aside. Combine coconut flour, cake flour and stevia in a bowl, stir with a whisk. Use another bowl to beat the egg whites at high speed until soft peak forms.  Add cream of tarter, lemon juice and vanilla to the eggs; beat until smooth.

Next, take the flour mixture, and slowly add to the egg white mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time. Gently fold the flour into the egg mixture each time, until all the flour mixture is gone. Then fold in the Greek yogurt.  Using a spatula, place the batter in the pan. Bake for about 40 – 50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Using a metal spatula, loosen the cake from both sides and place on a cooling rack. Wait until the cake is completely cool. Then cut into 2 inch square and place in the bottom of mason jars, top with strawberries and Greek yogurt. You can also throw on some mint if you are in the mood.

fruit parfait

Enjoy!

lauren2

Share with your friends
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook1Pin on Pinterest10

Speak Your Mind

*

Skinny Fat Girl Diary