Coconut cream cookie sandwiches were my go-to treat this Valentines! This year, my boyfriend and I are celebrating Valentine’s Day all weekend long… first with a romantic dinner out on Friday night, followed by a fun and casual night in on Saturday night… we’re going to drink cocktails, play games, and of course eat sweets! This cookie is as healthy as a cookie can possibly be… no added sugar, whole wheat flour, oats and cashews… combined with a coconut whip cream?! Now that’s a cookie you can feel good about!
Let’s be honest, this oatmeal nut cookie isn’t much to look at… it’s consistency is similar to a scone– sweet and a bit dry, but the coconut whipped cream adds balance as a rich and creamy filling! Turning cookies into a sandwich adds a casual and playful tone to a romantic night in! Check out the recipe below to make this for yourself, your friends, or that special someone! From start to finish this whole recipe can take you less than a half hour to make… so start preppin’ SFG’s!
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED:
(for the cookie)
1/2 cup agave
instant oats 1 cup
almond extract 1/2 tsp
baking powder 1.5 tsp
cinnamon 1/2 tsp
cacao powder 2 tbsp
salt 1/8 tsp
whole wheat flour 3/4 cup
2 tbsp coconut oil
chopped up cashews (a small handful)
(for the whipped coconut cream)
- 2 cans of coconut milk (**important! Make sure you place in the fridge over night to harden the milk– otherwise, the whipped-cream, will be more like cream-soup!)
- 1 tablespoon of Truvia (natural zero calorie sweetener)
- optional ** add a tablespoon of vanilla extract or an extra spoonful of Truvia for extra sweetness
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
(for the cookies)
- mix the ingredients all together in a mixing bowl until thoroughly combined
- place cookie sized balls on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper)… I like to use an ice cream scooper to scoop consistent cookie dough balls…
- put the cookies in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes! … then allow them to cool off before icing them with coconut cream
(for the whipped cream)
- take the cold coconut milk out of the fridge and open the can
- there will be liquid on the bottom, but a thick coconut substance on the top– use a spoon and remove only the thicker mixture into a bowl
- add tbsp of truvia into the bowl, and using an egg beater, whip the coconut milk until it becomes even thicker, creamier, and fluffier!
LAST STEP– add the creamy coconut layer to the bottom of the cookie, spreading it on thick with a knife! Then top it all off with another cookie!
ENJOY SFG’s!!! What are you doing this holiday weekend? … and who with?!