I’m always trying to get away with not washing my hair. Is that gross? Not that I have bad hygiene… No, I was just told that washing your hair everyday strips away the good oils, proteins, etc… and I don’t really like to shower. JK. I have quite the collection of hats, Pssssst (Yes, that’s a real brand name.) dry shampoo, baby powder, and I’m often braiding the front of my unwashed hair to make it appear less greasy. Don’t judge me. However, all of this starts to get old and I like to switch it up. Enter my latest obsession: The Sock Bun.
This technique is genius for anyone looking for a fuller bun. I’m incredibly envious of the massive amounts of hair that JLo and Kim K have to play with, but let’s be real…it’s fake. So for everyone else out there who doesn’t have extensions or isn’t naturally blessed with thick Pantene Pro-V ad hair, this is how you can fake it. It’s great for an on-the-go, “I’m fabulous without even trying” look or for a more formal evening out on the town.
What You Need:
* Sock (Dress sock=big bun. Ski sock=bigger bun.)
* Hair tie
* Bobby pins
- Cut the toe of the sock off to create a tube.
- Roll your tube into a ‘donut’.
- Take your hair tie and make a ponytail where you want the bun.
- Pull the end of your ponytail through the center of the sock ‘donut’ and spread your hair around the sock.
- Roll the sock down the length of your ponytail (towards your head) and wrap your hair around it as you go.
- When you’ve reached the base of your ponytail, tuck in any remaining ends and make sure the sock is covered with hair.
- Secure around bun with bobby pins and ta-da!
Check out these ladies before they got my memo. Don’t be fooled, they’re just like us! Only they have a bigger bank account, a house in the hills and a personal driver. Ugh. Jealous. Put a sock in it!